If you have an active and adventurous dog, bringing them along on a camping trip is one of the best activities to do together. It’s the perfect opportunity to enjoy incredible outdoor adventures, burn off lots of energy, and have a unique bonding experience. Of course, if you bring your dog to an unfamiliar camping area, it’s crucial to keep them safe and close by as they roam and explore their new terrain.
Portable camping dog fences are a great way to protect your companion during any outdoor adventure. Whether you’re planning a weekend getaway, a long-term RV trip, or just want a safe and spacious place for your dog to run around outside, here are five of the best portable dog fences that really work.
5 Best Portable Camping Dog Fences
Here’s your guide to five of the best portable camping dog fences you can buy for your next dog-friendly camping trip.
Paws & Pals Portable Dog Fence Playpen
Paws & Pals is known for their durable, high-quality pet supplies, and this portable wire dog fence is no exception. With impressive versatility, a sturdy design, and an affordable price, this is one of the best camping dog fences you can find on the market.
Wire Pen Dog Fence Playpen - Pet Dogs & Cats Outdoor Exercise Pens - Tube Gate w/Door - (8 Panel / 30 Square Feet Play Yard) Heavy Duty Portable Folding Metal Animal Cage Corral - 24" Height Fences
- PICK YOUR SET: Available in 24”, 32”, and 40” inches tall - All pen tube gates are approximately 30 square feet – Sets feature extra wide panels - Best for small, medium, and large pets – Please refer to our suggested size chart on the left to choose the correct size for your dog
- DURABLE DOGGY PENS: Constructed from sturdy rust-resistant coated metal for increased longevity and durability –More secure and last longer than plastic or mesh pens – More durable than doggie tents
- WIRE PLAYPEN FENCES: The ½ inch heavy duty tube frame with an 8-panel design allows for a multitude of shape configurations to please your pet - Great for both indoor and outdoor use – Use it inside your house or in your yard - Includes a built-in door for easy access – Can be attached directly to kennel or cage (Although it may require additional hardware to properly secure)
- SAFE ROUND EDGES: Exercise pen features rounded edges and a rust-resistant coating so your dog, cat, kitten, puppy, guinea pig, bunny rabbit, chicken, ferret, etc. won’t accidentally cut themselves on the wiring - Connecting rods can be used as anchoring stakes to help secure the structure in place when being used outdoors
- EASY SETUP: Our folding metal fence is super simple to set up - Unfold it and link the fence together using the included equipment - The fence easily & quickly collapses for convenient storage – Heavy duty and collapsible design make it ideal for travel - NO TOOLS REQUIRED
This playpen comes in three sizes—24”, 32”, and 40”—so you can easily find the perfect fit for your pet. It also uses an adjustable eight-panel design that allows for several different configurations.
The metal wires come with a rust-resistant coating for heavy-duty long-term use. And with connecting rods that double as anchoring stakes, this is the perfect fence for outdoor use in all weather conditions.
Other key features of this portable playpen include:
- Rounded edges for additional animal safety
- An easy-to-use build in latched door.
- A light, foldable design for extra portability.
- Straightforward, tool-free construction.
No matter what size your pet is, this functional and sturdy portable dog fence has something to suit every dog owner’s needs.
Yaheetech Dog PlayPen
For any dog owners wanting to ensure their pet has plenty of space to roam, run around, and safely explore in the great outdoors, the Yaheetech Dog PlayPen is a top choice. This premium iron playpen ranges from 4 to 24 panels, so even large, adventurous dogs will have ample space to explore their surroundings.
Yaheetech Dog Playpen, 24 Panels 40 Inch Height x 32 Inch Width Small Animals Pen Heavy Duty Pet Fence for Puppy/Cat/Rabbit Extra Large Foldable Pet Exercise Pen for RV Camping Garden Outdoor Indoor
- 🐶【Reinforced Details for Sturdy Structure】Well-constructed for excellent sturdiness. Boasting the thicker wire diameter and dense wires to bring the closer wire gaps provides a safe, enclosed area for your pet to exercise and play. Reinforced frame in detail keeps walls not easily collapsing when pets knock over.
- 🐶【Solid Metal Stakes Ensuring Safety】The upgraded solid metal stakes achieve a fully enclosed bend, avoiding sharp edges to protect pets from injury. At the same time, the solid stakes are easily inserted into the ground to keep the walls more stable and rigid when the dogs exercise.
- 🐶【Large & Safe Space】32"W x 40"H of each panel. This interactive and expandable pet fence is suitable for small or medium pets, such as toy poodles, corgis, puppies, rabbits, ducks, bunny, perfect for both indoor and outdoor use.
- 🐶【Creating different shapes】Panels are connected by metal bars, which allow this dog playpen to be flexibly built in different shapes like octagon, square and rectangle in different sizes by adding or removing panels. You can purchase more sets to increase the playpen size. Square Enclosure Dimensions and Area: 224" L x 160" W x 40" H and 249 sq. ft.
- 🐶【Foldable & Easy to Transport】The dog pen is connect by 24 individual panels.The unique fold and carry configuration allows you to transfer the dog pin from your home to vehicle quickly if you need to transfer your pet to another location.
Along with the different panel options, you can choose between a 24″, 32”, and 40” tall fence. That range means the playpen can suit the smallest of dogs, such as Chihuahuas, up to large dogs, like Labradors and Shepherds.
The high-quality design is made from premium reinforced iron that remains sturdy and rigid over time, even when knocked into by active, energetic dogs.
Yaheetech has incorporated additional safety into the design with thick wires, lots of welding spots, durable metal stakes, and no sharp edges. These extra safety measures guarantee a safe and secure place for your dog to play during your camping trip.
While this playpen is large and heavy-duty, it’s nevertheless extremely easy to take on your travels. The lightweight panels don’t require any tools or complicated assembly, and the carrying configuration makes it simple to transfer to campsites by car or RV.
Zampa Dog Portable Playpen
If you’re searching for a comfortable and spacious playpen for your active dog, you can’t go wrong with this Zampa Portable Playpen. Made from high-quality metal with a soft mesh exterior, this pen from Zampa is designed to keep your dog safe, secure, and comfortable in any outdoor environment.
Zampa Dog Playpen Medium 45"x45"x24" Pop Up Portable Playpen for Dogs and Cat, Foldable | Indoor/Outdoor Pen & Travel Pet Carrier + Carrying Case.
- Quality: Pet playpen with protected seams and reinforced corners to ensure your pet's safety made from durable quality & water-resistant materials.
- Design: Our stylish 8-Panel puppy playpen is designed with a spacious interior, with features as bottle holder from the outside and exterior side pockets that provide a handy place for personal items etc.
- Measurements: The size of this pop up playpen is 45 inches diameter with a height of 24 inches.
- What To Expect From Zampa: Playpen, mesh top to zip on when needed, 4 metal spikes for outdoor safety, carrying case, and a commitment from our customer service team. Please don't hesitate to contact our customer service and BARK, we will make it right.
- No Assembly Required: Pops up in seconds, no assembly needed, folds flat, lightweight and easy to carry. For your convenience we made a video on how to use the playpen.
You can choose between sizes ranging from extra small to extra large, making it easy to find a fit that works perfectly for your camping companion. Zampa has a convenient size guide to make purchasing the right size much easier for dog owners.
Along with the functional design, this portable pen includes several other appealing features, such as:
- A water bottle holder.
- Exterior side pockets for extra pet supply storage.
- Reinforced corners and protected seams.
- Four different color options.
All size options come with eight panels, each made from a weather-resistant, easy-to-clean mesh material. There’s even a detachable mesh roof for extra security for your pet.
With a soft, lightweight design, this portable camping dog fence is a breeze to take with you wherever you go. It folds completely flat, is easy to carry, and can pop up in seconds with no assembly when you arrive at your camping destination.
Every purchase includes a carrying case and four sturdy spikes for outdoor use.
North States Mypet Petyard Passage With Lockable Pet Door
While metal camping dog fences are generally the most durable options, plastic portable camping dog fences offer a lightweight, sturdy, and affordable alternative. With a durable and strong plastic build, the North States Mypet Petyard Passage enclosure is an excellent option for any camping trip.
North States MyPet 34.4 Sq. Ft. Petyard Passage: Made in USA, 8-panel pet enclosure with lockable pet door. Freestanding. (26" Tall, Brown)
- WORRY-FREE SAFETY: Keep your pet contained and home safe with the MyPet 8-Panel Petyard Passage. This enclosure features a lockable door made of strong, durable plastic and comes in an attractive Espresso Brown finish that fits flawlessly with any décor.
- AMAZING VALUE & CONVENIENT LOCKING PET DOOR: This enclosure features a small swinging door, IDEAL to allow pets enter in and out of the area, but also locks to securely contain your furry friends.
- CONFIGURABLE FOR ANY SPACE: The 8-panel play yard is 26" Tall and encloses up to 34. 4 square feet of space. It can be made smaller by removing 2 panels at a time to create a smaller play area or a cozy crate for training or sleeping.
- SAFE FOR YOUR FLOORS: Thanks to the durable skid-resistant pads, This play yard will stay put and won't scratch or damage flooring.
- EASILY PORTABLE: With foldable panels and convenient carry strap, this lightweight yard is easy to move, perfect for travel, and can be used both indoors and outdoors. Proudly made in the USA.
The brown plastic finish is weather-resistant and easy to clean with only soap and water, making it ideal for outdoor or indoor use. The 8-panel enclosure can be adjusted to any size or configuration, and the 26” tall fence creates a safe, contained play area for most small to medium dogs.
The Petyard Passage comes with a swinging dog door that allows your pet the freedom to explore in safe environments. Mypet has door locks to keep your pet safely contained, which can be invaluable when camping or traveling in an unfamiliar area. The skid-resistant pads also keep it securely locked in place in any environment.
Preconnected, interlocking panels add even more convenience and functionality to this design. The Passage can be assembled easily in minutes, and the lightweight fence easily folds down for simple transportation. And when you purchase this portable dog fence, you’ll receive a carrying strap.
This durable plastic fence is safe, secure, and exceedingly versatile. If you’re looking for a fence that can easily be used both indoors and outdoors in any environment, the Petyard passage might be the right choice for you.
Amazon Basics Foldable Metal Dog and Pet Exercise Playpen
For a reliable, budget-friendly portable camping dog fence, consider this metal exercise playpen from Amazon Basics.
Amazon Basics Foldable Metal Pet Dog Exercise Fence Pen - 60 x 60 x 36 Inches, Black
- Indoor/outdoor portable 36-inch play and exercise pen without door; for dogs up to 23 inches tall
- Made of durable iron metal with rust-proof black finish; step-through door access; 2 secure-locking slide-bolt latches
- Sets up in seconds; simply unfold, shape, and connect—no tools required; folds flat for compact storage
- Includes 8 ground anchors for outdoor use
- Recommended for small and medium sized breeds
This simple but durable foldable pen features strong, rust-proof iron bars that can withstand forces from even the most active dog. In addition, it’s sturdy enough to withstand inclement weather.
The Amazon Basics playpen offers an impressive variety of options that suit any dog’s needs. You can choose from sizes ranging from the extra small 24” tall fence to the large 48” tall fence option. Moreover, you can select styles with and without a secure door with two side-bolt latches.
I’m a big fan of the simplicity of this design, as it makes the playpen exceptionally convenient and easy to set up at any camping site. The playpen includes eight side panels that unfold and connect with no tools necessary. It also folds completely flat for compact storage and portability.
This purchase includes eight sturdy ground anchors for additional security and rigidity during outdoor use.
It has to be noted this pen lacks many of the features of its more luxurious alternatives. But with a simple and dependable design, spacious and versatile size options, and budget-friendly pricing, this is a fantastic way to protect your dog as they play and run outdoors at any campsite.
It’s no secret that dog owners want to provide the best for their furry companions. With any of these portable camping dog fences, you can create unforgettable camping experiences with your dog by your side, all while keeping them safe, happy, and secure.
Be sure to check out some of the crucial features before making your purchase, such as size, durability, portability, and material. Once you find the dog fence that suits all of your needs, you’re ready to plan the perfect dog-friendly camping trip and create lasting memories.
What type of fencing is best for dogs? ›
Vinyl fences might be one of the best fences for dogs. First, they're very durable. They are 5 times stronger than wood and won't twist, warp, split, or rot. They last significantly longer than wood fences and often come with manufacturer warranties.How to build a cheap dog fence? ›
Use PVC Deer Block Netting for Dog Fences (the cheapest option) Without a doubt the easiest and most affordable dog fence idea is to use PVC deer block netting. DIY dog fences made of PVC are inexpensive and highly flexible.What is the easiest fence to maintain? ›
There are a lot of fence material types and styles to consider, but vinyl remains the top choice for a low maintenance fence. Vinyl fences are growing popular among homeowners and other types of property owners because they require less maintenance than other fences.What is the cheapest most durable fence? ›
PVC fencing. The cheapest way to create a fence for your home is by getting one made from PVC. Such fences substitute wooden pickets and stakes to offer your protection from the outside world. PVC sleeves improve the stability of wooden posts used as a fence, reducing the cost of material and the labor used.What is the most inexpensive fence? ›
Treated pine tends to be the most affordable, and also durable wood option. Cedar tends to be a pricier wood for fencing, and redwood and teak at the top end. Vinyl, wrought iron, brick or stone fences are the most expensive.What type of fence lasts the longest? ›
What Type of Fence Lasts the Longest? Chain-link fences with a galvanized finish that doesn't rust are the longest lasting fences. All other components of the fence are made of steel and are also galvanized, so there is relatively no maintenance.What is the best fence for no maintenance? ›
Vinyl fence is increasingly becoming the preferred choice for homeowners looking for a maintenance-free fence option. A long-lasting, easy-care alternative to wood, vinyl fence won't rot, warp, peel or splinter. Plus, you won't waste time and money on sanding, staining or painting every few years.What fencing needs no maintenance? ›
Recycled Plastic Fencing and Recycled Plastic Gates offer you a lifetime of zero maintenance.... Plastic wood fencing, otherwise known as recycled plastic fences and gates for fences outperform treated timber and composite wood in many aspects. Most notably it's longevity (see WRAP study here).What can I put on the bottom of my fence to keep my dog in? ›
Attach wire to the bottom of the fence. Burying or attaching some chicken wire to the bottom of your fence can create a barrier difficult for your dog to dig through. You can also anchor a small strip of plastic fencing to the bottom of any DIY dog fence making it difficult for your dog to dig out.What can you put outside to keep dogs away? ›
- Commercial dog-repellent sprays, which you can find online.
- Citrus trees, fruits, or juices.
- Rue plants.
- Citronella plants or oil.
- Cayenne pepper.
- Chili powder.
What to put under fence so dogs can't get out? ›
- Bury chicken wire at the base of the fence. ...
- Place large rocks, partially buried, along the bottom of the fence line.
- Bury the bottom of the fence one to two feet below the surface.
Comprised of thick steel wires bent and hooked together, this type of fencing is often the best option for a small budget and a large yard. While the 2- to 3-inch spaces between the wires mean less privacy than a solid fence, chain-link fences effectively keep pets in and intruders out.
Many people think an invisible underground wireless electric fence is the best way to keep their dog in their yard. However, they are simply not as effective as you might think. Statistics suggest that invisible wireless electric fences are only about 70% effective.Is a 4 or 5 foot fence better for dogs? ›
A four-foot high fence is unlikely to deter a Husky, Golden Retriever, or Labrador, so you should look for a fence with a height of five or even six feet. For most breeds, six feet should be sufficient. Some owners start adding extensions to make their fences higher and higher.Which type of fence do you think is most reliable? ›
- Offers the most privacy: Wood or vinyl privacy fencing.
- Best for conservation or restoration: Wrought iron.
- Most durable: Vinyl.
- Most versatile: Aluminum.
- Most style options available: Wood or vinyl.
- Can be a DIY project: Chain link, wood, or aluminum.
- Least amount of maintenance required: Aluminum.
Wood fences are most likely to increase a home's value, but they need regular sealing or staining to preserve their structural integrity. With regular care, homeowners can prevent wooden fences from being destroyed by rot or termite infestation.What is the cheapest fencing for acreage? ›
Barbed wire fencing is probably the most affordable agriculture fencing option. It's a cost-effective choice for cattle pastures and perimeter fencing. You can choose from a range of galvanized wire thicknesses and choose the spacing you want between barbs.What's better wood or vinyl fence for dogs? ›
Along with its resistance to damage, vinyl also doesn't deteriorate the way wood or metal fencing does. Over time, wood may rot or chip, resulting in splinters and exposed nails/screws, and metal could rust, resulting in rough textures. Naturally, none of that is good for your dog, which is why vinyl is a top choice.Is chain link or wood fence better for dogs? ›
This is the best fence for dogs – that is, for those extra excitable pups who need a strong dog run fence that's blocked off from people walking by. Additionally, wood fences can be quite tall, which can prevent your dog from jumping over the fence to explore the neighborhood.
14 gauge welded wire metal fence is heavy and strong enough that dogs can't chew through it. This fence is recommended for either the entire fence height, or the bottom 3 ft. —4 ft.
How high does a fence need to be for a dog? ›
For larger dogs, choose a 6-ft. -tall fence, especially if he or she is a jumper. For small dogs, a 3.5-ft. -tall fence should suffice.What lasts longer cedar or vinyl fence? ›
Conclusion: If you're set on having a wood fence, cedar is the best choice for its durability (natural rot and insect resistance) and low-maintenance (no need to paint or stain). If overall maintenance and durability is a primary factor, vinyl fence may be a better choice.Are wireless dog fences worth it? ›
Many people think an invisible underground wireless electric fence is the best way to keep their dog in their yard. However, they are simply not as effective as you might think. Statistics suggest that invisible wireless electric fences are only about 70% effective.Is 4 feet high enough for dog fence? ›
Medium to large-sized breeds like boxers, golden-retrievers, Huskies, and labs will see a four-foot fence as a fun obstacle to jump over. In this case, what's fun for them isn't fun for you! We always recommend at least a six foot high fence when fencing in a yard for a dog.
The wireless fence uses a constant radio signal to create a "safety zone" with range up to 1640 feet (500 meters). If the dog is beyond the setting distance, The receiver collar will start up by a warning tone, then static shock until your dog comes back to “safety zone”.What gauge fence is strongest? ›
For a strong fence, you want a low gauge, such as an 11 or 11.5. A very thin gauge would be over 20. You can also think about gauge in inches. For example, an 8.5 gauge welded and woven wire is 0.155 inches thick, while a 27 gauge is only 0.0173 inches thick.Can dogs hurt each other through a fence? ›
Dogs can even be grieviously injured or even killed if they are able to grab another dog (or part of a dog) through a fence. It's no fun for the leashed dogs either, as they make their rounds around the neighborhood with their humans and are repeatedly charged at by barking, snarling dogs.Do you have to bury the wire for a dog fence? ›
Basically, any electronic dog fence will work above ground however, most require you to bury the wire because the light gauge dog electric fence wire they supply is easily broken unless buried underground.